University City contains the nation’s largest collection of intact Victorian housing stock, with three major National Register Historic Districts: Powelton, Garden Court, and the West Philadelphia Streetcar Suburb.
Our Mission: The University City Historical Society advocates for the preservation of the history, architecture and cultural heritage of West Philadelphia.
UCHS strives to:
- Enhance the heritage of West Philadelphia and its rich abundance of architecture, culture, history, and scientific riches.
- Undertake and encourage multiple facets of historical research and preservation.
- Provide a forum to all who are interested in the past, present and future development of the University City community.
- Collection of materials related to the history and development of West Philadelphia.
- Recognition of architectural and environmental stewardship through annual “Outstanding Preservation” and “Preservation Initiative” and “Gift to the Streets” Awards.
- Sponsorship of historical house and walking tours, featuring the architectural wealth of University City.
- Creation of historic districts to protect the historic integrity of the neighborhoods of University City.
- Encouragement of historic preservation through workshops and education.
- Provide historic building markers.
- Inform the pubic about special topics related to the history of University City and its rich diversified heritage.
- Highlight and celebrate local history and preservation through educational programs and special events.